Thursday 11 May 2017

Dentist with an ostomy

As a dentist with an ostomy bag, life has been relatively simple, all things being considered. I’m glad that having this pouch has not prevented me from doing the things I love as well as my job. I’m an orthodontist and work at a fantastic office surrounded by so many great people. About five years ago now I developed colon cancer that required me to get a permanent ostomy bag. It rocked my world, but I overcame the struggles, and I continue to push forward. 



About five years ago now, I had some odd pains when I would need to have bowel movements. Every time I went to the bathroom, it was painful for me. After about a week of this, I scheduled an appointment with my doctor. When I had my appointment, I was never thinking of what the cause of my pains was. The doctor wanted to get a scan of me to see if he could see anything. When the scan came back, the doctor had a look of shock on his face. That is not something you want to see on a doctor’s face. He told me I had a large mass of cancer in my colon. The choices I had were not the best, but I get it. It was all they could really do. The doctor told me I could do radiation therapy, surgery to remove the mass, or surgery to remove my colon all together and get an ostomy. I went with having my colon removed as I know many people who have had both of the other treatments and no change in their situation. I got the surgery scheduled. 


When I came back for my procedure, it was relatively quick. I only remember going into the operating room and the doctors getting situated. The next thing I know, I’m in my own room resting. I looked down to see the scars that would remain as well as the new addition being my stoma and ostomy bag. After a few days, I was able to go home and get back to work. I did not have any problems my first few days before. It was really just trying to get back into the swing of things. 

I was glad to be back at work as it helped me forget my new situation. I was open with my coworkers and boss about it. I told them how I had developed cancer and chose to have my colon removed and get an ostomy bag. They asked me so many questions I was glad to educate them. Putting braces on people’s teeth does not really affect my ostomy bag. I can not easily reach to my right as that is where my ostomy bag is located. It more or less restricts my movement. To combat this, I just move my tools close to me, but I need to be careful and not accidentally hit them as that would leave a big mess and be annoying to clean. 



As a dentist with an ostomy bag, life is not much different than it was before. I’m glad to have caught the cancer before it spread anymore. It has been five years since my diagnosis, and I’m still cancer free! I believe that I made the right choice to remove my colon entirely as the cancer may have spread to other vital organs, thus doing more damage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Link between Anxiety and Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Inflammatory bowel disease IBD describes two kinds of bowel disorders ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. The symptom of the two dis...