Sunday 28 January 2018

Gearing up for beach season with your stoma

It is 2021 and most of us are ready to get back to being in the sun and enjoying the beach.  For the most part of the country the beaches just opened up across the majority of the country and I am so excited to get myself down to one.  Yes, the covid-19 pandemic has pretty much ended and people are actually getting back to normal.  But I am not a Debby downer and know that it is really not harmful to anyone under 65.  Welcome to the truth of 2021.  Now let's not talk about all the riots, I think that is going to be a done deal here soon as well.  The weather is simply too nice to stay inside and let me tell you if you have a stoma you shouldn't want to not go to the beach because of that!  It is really silly that some people think so little of themselves that a stoma does not make them beautiful.  That is something you should just stop, just stop.  You are beautiful and can not only look and feel good about yourself with a stoma but should! There is no room for people to be judgy at the beach.  Instead, enjoy the best part of your life.  Body shaming is lame no matter what you look like!  It is 2020 so get your ostomy care on and get yourself to the beach. 



Now because you have a stoma you need to think about all the things that actually matter and you will need to make a few plans.  Some things I do like to keep on me when I go to the beach are the regular things.  One if I am going to be getting in my swimsuit I do like to either use a smaller bag or a stoma cap for the water and beach.  This is 100% personal preference and you need to do what works best for your body and your look.  Now when I way 60 pounds over what I should most likely I am not going shirtless with a stoma cap, but you do you.  It also helps to know your own personal schedule if you know what I mean.  This can allow you to rock out with less gear on and show your body off instead of your bag!  But in all seriousness ostomy care is important and also keeping your skin protected is also important.  So for goodness sake wear sunscreen!  It really is a big deal and should be a big part of your routine.  You really, really and I mean really do now want a sunburn around your stoma.  That will flat out make your life not fun for a few days.  Cancer is a big deal and a sunburn on your stoma is really something you should call your doctor on to make sure no damage is done too much.  




Carry your gear safely too. That means that I want to keep all of my gear in a waterproof bag or pouch.  This is pretty easy to do and it also helps to make sure sand stays out of it as well.  So if you bring a backpack or a beach bag, I prefer to have a plastic container inside of it with my ostomy gear. And I like to put my gear in a ziplock bag inside of the container.  Double up and keep your stuff water and sand proof so no health issues happen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Link between Anxiety and Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Inflammatory bowel disease IBD describes two kinds of bowel disorders ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. The symptom of the two dis...